Sunday, October 6, 2013

Musical Fan Videos are Hilarious! (Blog #5)

I thought it was kind of hard to find videos about musical theater that weren't strictly performance videos.  There were a lot of videos that were made using the soundtrack with cast album pictures, or people who taped themselves or friends onstage.  One of my favorite channels for musical theater is AngelsBWay Karaoke. I love karaoke and this girl posts only musical theater karaoke, which is my absolute favorite.

Other than those types of videos, I found that a trend is doing humorous videos about what its like to be a musical theater fan. I think they are absolutely hilarious, but I wonder if people who don't know much or anything about musical theater would even get them or understand why its so funny. There are some parodies out there (again it was hard to find fan parodies and not professionals). But there were a few hilarious homages, I guess you would call them. They just kind of make fun what people who love musical theater are like, but they are directed so that musical theater nerds would look at them and say, "that's totally me!"  As an example of this, I am posting a video below of a boy who says all these things about musical theater (and I found myself laughing hysterically and saying "That's totally me!"  . The video is also funny because there's a stereotype of guys who like musical theater being gay, and while some people might find this video offensive, theater people just think its hilarious because they know people like this.

I don't know if these videos are changing any cultural meanings per se. But I think what they are doing is connecting musical theater lovers to each other around the country and the world.  Unless you are in theater yourself as a major or in community musicals, you don't usually run in to too many people who are musical theater fanatics. But it is nice to know that there are other people out there just like you! (I just made us sound like some secret minority or something--and maybe we are!)

2 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that there aren't very man fan videos out there about musical theater, especially considering the huge amount of musical theater fans there are (maybe they're just too focused on the stage and they think that video is a lower form of expression ha ha). You say that there may not be anything culturally significant in the videos that you found, but maybe there's something to be said about the lack of video content available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. Good point! I should think about that more.

    ReplyDelete