Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Twittering for the News

Facebook really kicked off a few years after I was a teenager and twitter followed even later. The social media kick does not appeal to me at all and I don't know that it ever will; however, I don't mind trying new things and never want to become the person who refuses to learn new technology or says it's too hard.

A Twitter persona had never crossed my mind. I'm still not entirely sure what is meant by that. It feels wrong to inject anything personal into something everyone sees who I do not know (this is why I stink at social media). I don't even like to put photos up on Facebook. Plus that seems like a lot of pressure. I have tried to post things which I feel are relevant to the class or technology in general. This blog is the closest I get to putting "myself" on the web and I am just hoping that no one will really read it.

My sixteen-year-old brother Favorited one of my technology tweets. I'm not exactly sure why he would care about Google analytics but all right. Not really a lot of followers or retweeting. I seem to like to retweet relevant technology news. In fact, now that I'm Twittering I have actually looked at the news a bit more. I think if I was more pithy or funny maybe I would be retweeted or favorited but that's so much pressure to perform. I haven't really done more than hashtagging the class tag or referencing the people I'm retweeting to promote my account. I feel that if I actually got people to follow me then I would become obsessed and spiral out of control. I tend to be a bit over dramatic if you couldn't tell.

(Midway through post goes and friends people in the class.) Makes sense now why I wasn't seeing anyone's tweets but mine. There seems to be many posts about events or places to be, but these seem to be annoying more than helpful. There is one thing this whole Twitter/Blogger stuff has done for me. In the past, I have known literally no one in the class besides the teacher. I did not want to interact with my classmates and avoided it as much as possible. I know 3 other people's names in the class which is great and have realized that we share some common interests. It's making me more social and empathetic than ever, so I suppose that is a good thing. One item I would like to vent about is the character limitation on Twitter. I'm a freaking English major. I barely get going at 140 characters. HELLO!

Obviously, Twitter shows the integration of new media and digital design. The fact that people are communicating through a digital interface in order to make connections and build relationships at all is astounding. Objects are created and reinvented with new media, opening up the art more widely and enriching our culture to an extent impossible before.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for following me on Twitter! :) I actually envy you that you aren't that much into social media. I'm pretty much a social media addict (I would use another term but that one is not so academic.) It does get pretty exhausting and once you start posting personal information, its hard not to stop. I tweeted something personal, a few times, but now have decided against it. I want more of a professional page. And someday when I'm an activist in something, I hope to use Twitter to do that sort of work. That's great that your brother favorited a tweet of yours.

    ReplyDelete