Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Musical Theater in Memes

I changed my topic for my final paper because I wanted to pick a topic for one of my greatest loves: musical theater. I found a lot of memes for this, and I was excited.

First, I found a meme picture that is very popular. It is the one with the actor (I'm still not sure who it is) who is sitting down in front of a beer and the caption is, "I don't always... but when I do, I...." I found this musical theater meme:
This meme is really funny to someone who knows what particular musical theater show this is based on. However, someone who doesn't know it is even a musical, but they would still think it was funny. Its interesting that memes can be like that. This meme in particular is based off of the show Chicago. There is a song called the Cell Block Tango, which is a song sung by women in prison singing about why they killed their respective men. One line that is often repeated in this song is, "He had it coming"






I had a harder time finding memes of the "what the world thinks I do" variety that involved musical theater. The one I found was about musical theater majors:
Some of the sections on this meme are in jokes, or are things that people who love musical theater know about. I didn't think this meme is as clever as some of the  other subjects that I've seen done. Some of the pictures don't even seem to make sense. I find that a lot with different memes of this variety. Some of them are hilarious and well done. I thought this one was alright. The best one is "what my mom thinks I do" and he's pouring money down the toilet. Its funny because a lot of theater majors can't really do much with their degree. The spot that didn't make sense was "what my professors think I do". I don't really get what the picture has to do with theater majors. The last two boxes are pretty funny because theater majors want to be in all the shows, but this doesn't always happen. A lot of their time is spent studying how to perform.

I think memes are hilarious and that's why they are so popular. I think also people want to see images of things. Its more fun to post a picture with a funny caption on it then to write out a long status update, etc. People seem to want to see things in a fast way more often nowadays, so I think that's why they are so popular now.

Lastly, I found a great picture of fan art that I really want to hang up somewhere in my room:
I love this so much! Its really funny because some people say the reason they hate musical theater is because of how silly it is that people sing and dance exactly the same way all of the sudden. (Which is what I happen to love about musical theater!) Everyone would know what these fan art means. I like how its a sign that looks like many other road signs what with the black and white figures. To make this meme, I think the person must have just used a sign template, perhaps something that asked you to type what you wanted it to say and then add in vector black and white images. It seems like it was made by a fan, but other fans of something could take the template and use it for their own idea. I think the purpose of fan art is to just show your love of something. Put it into a picture and simple words. It can be an idea that you had and liked that others would love as well.









No comments:

Post a Comment