Friday, September 13, 2013

Stephen- Blog Post #2 (Hyperlinks)

When I’m playing Minecraft, I frequently visit the Minecraft Wiki in order to answer a question about the game. The wiki is a great place to go because it has a lot of detail about everything in the game, but it also has a lot of ways to reach other resources.

An example of links within a paragraph leading to different sites.

Toolbars with links.
On the main page, there is a list of related sites. These are also available at different times while exploring the site, displayed as hyper-linked text on various pages. There are links for the Minecraft website, forums, Mojang (the game developer) blogs, the Facebook page, the YouTube channel, a server list, and several community pages. There are also instructional videos linked or embedded on the pages. 

These links can be extremely helpful if you’re looking for something in particular or are just exploring around. There are also options for viewing the site in different languages. The site also makes it very easy to navigate to the different sites because, as I said before, they are conveniently placed on the homepage and as links while moving around the site.

It is beneficial to see the kinds of sites that can be hyper-linked and the various ways that it can be done in order to make it easy on the visitor. It is also nice to see that not every hyperlink has to be displayed in the same way: underlined, blue text. The links on this site are often in toolbars or drop-down menus. 






1 comment:

  1. My stepson is obsessed with Minecraft. I need to go and visit this website so I can kind of see what the heck he is talking to me about. Would you say the links are helpful in explaining Minecraft to someone who doesn't play it? I could see this as a potential bonding moment for my stepson and I.

    ReplyDelete